Toronto-based Greenleaf Pest Control Provides Bed Bug Removal and Prevention in Vaughan and the GTA
Few things can cause as much panic as the realization that you have an infestation of bed bugs in your Toronto home, apartment, or commercial establishment. The very thought of bed bug infestation is enough to make your skin crawl. The good news, however, is that help is available with Greenleaf Pest Control. Greenleaf Pest Control has extensive experience in dealing with bed bug extermination and removal in various communities throughout the Greater Toronto Area, including Barrie, Oakville, and Vaughan. Our professional exterminators will conduct a complete inspection and develop a treatment plan specific to your needs. In addition, we will provide you with specific instructions regarding how to prepare for the treatment.
Bed Bug Behaviour and Habits
- Bed bugs live in clusters; they aggregate
- Bed bugs prefer to live as close as possible to their host
- Bed bugs feed mostly at night when their host is asleep
- Nymphs become engorged with blood within three minutes; adult bed bugs usually feed for 10-15 minutes
- Bed bugs hide during the day in dark, protected areas
- Bed bugs prefer fabric, wood, and paper
- Bed bugs move quickly and can hide in cracks smaller than one millimeter
- Bed bugs initially hide in the tufts, seams, and folds of mattresses, later traveling to the box spring and headboard
- In a heavy infestation, bed bugs will be found away from the bed in door frames, electrical boxes, floor cracks, smoke detectors, baseboards, furniture, under carpeting tack boards, behind picture frames, in drapery pleats, and loosened wallpaper
Bed Bug Bites
- Bed bugs pierce the skin with a sharp beak, then inject a salivary fluid containing an anti-coagulant which helps them obtain blood
- The salivary fluid of the bed bug causes varying reactions in their hosts, but are typically painless and result only in mild irritation and inflammation.
- Sensitivity to bed bugs varies, so reactions may range from unnoticeable to mild to severe
- Bed bugs feed during your most vulnerable time—sleep. Because you are unlikely to see the bed bugs, the bites may go unnoticed or be mistaken for another type of bite or reaction
- Bed bugs are known to harbor 28 different human pathogens; however, transmission of these diseases to people via bed bug bite has not been confirmed scientifically
- Some individuals respond to bed bug infestation with anxiety, stress, and insomnia, while others are upset to the point that their life is completely uprooted
What Do Bed Bug Bites Look Like?
- Visible symptoms vary from person to person
- Bed bug bites can take from two days to four weeks to display symptoms
- 60% of the population does not display symptoms from a bed bug bite
Tell-Tale Signs of Bed Bug Infestation
- Look for bed bugs where you sleep and rest
- Look for signs of bed bugs where you most often put (and store) luggage and other bags
- Check bedrooms, including box springs, mattresses, bed frames, behind wallpaper, clocks, pictures, cracks in floors, underneath carpet edges
- Dark blood spots on sheets and bedding often indicate bed bug feeding
- Look for cast-off bed bug skins, which indicate molting
If You Suspect Bed Bugs in Vaughan, Toronto, and the GTA, Call Greenleaf Pest Control for Help Immediately
In almost all circumstances, when you call Greenleaf Pest Control to report a bed bug infestation, one of our highly trained specialists will talk to you about why you suspect an infestation, provide tips for what you can do before Greenleaf Pest Control arrives at your home, as well as give you an idea of what will happen next. Then, either one of our certified technicians or one of our bed bug detection dogs and a handler will come to your home or establishment to confirm that you do, in fact, have bed bugs, ascertain the location and level of infestation, and work with you on developing a comprehensive treatment plan that will get rid of the bed bugs. Your treatment plan will be modified to fit your specific circumstances, of course, but in general, you can expect something similar to the following:
- Preparation Services – Preparation is key. When treatment is not successful, it is almost always because a client failed to complete the items on the Bed Bug Preparation Sheet that was provided at the inspection. Successful bed bug control requires a cooperative effort between you and your Toronto exterminators.
- Vacuuming – Greenleaf Pest Control uses a high-suction vacuum with specialized tools to get into small cracks and crevices that a normal vacuum will miss. This step physically removes many of the bed bugs that have infested your home, apartment, or commercial facility
- High Heat Steam – Commercial steamers are used to raise the heat of the infested areas above 120 degrees Celsius. This procedure successfully kills eggs, bed bugs, and fleas and dust mites instantly without causing damage to surfaces of furniture. Plus, no toxic chemicals are required.
- Residual Treatment – Following the steaming of the infested area, diatomaceous earth – a natural, non-toxic pesticide – is dusted into cracks and crevices, especially those that could not be steamed (i.e., electrical outlets). In severe cases, a minimal amount of chemical spray may be required, as well.
- Encasement and Monitoring – As a precautionary measure, Greenleaf Pest Control will seal any mattresses and couches involved in a bed bug proof case and will place monitoring devices around the legs of beds and couches for two weeks before a follow-up inspection is conducted.
When Bed Bugs Have Infested Your Home or Establishment in Toronto, Call on Greenleaf Pest Control
Discovering a bed bug infestation can be traumatizing, and most people are so embarrassed about having bed bugs that they may put off contacting pest control professionals and try to handle the issue themselves by applying pesticides, which can be dangerous, or by disposing of furniture, which can cause more spread of bed bugs.
There is nothing to be embarrassed about if you have a bed bug problem. Having bed bugs is not a reflection of cleanliness, and delaying treatment will only allow the infestation to worsen. Bed bugs can be transported during travel and could have easily been brought into your home in (or on) luggage from your last trip. If you still feel embarrassed, take comfort in the fact that your fully certified Greenleaf Pest Control technician will arrive at your home in an unmarked vehicle, so your neighbors will never have to know that you had a bed bug infestation at all.
For Bed Bugs in Vaughan or Toronto, Contact Greenleaf Pest Control as Soon as Possible
When you want safe, effective, efficient, and ecologically friendly pest control for your residence or business, contact Greenleaf Pest Control at 416.998.9473 in order to get rid of any kind of pest, including bed bugs, wasps, ants, and cockroaches, as well as squirrels, skunks, and birds. Greenleaf Pest Control has set the industry standard for environmentally friendly, quality pest control in Newmarket, Toronto, Mississauga, Barrie, Richmond Hill, Vaughan, Oakville, and all of the Greater Toronto Area.